Three Things You Love About Yourself (& Three Things I Love About Myself)

As a woman, sometimes I feel like it's my job to dislike myself. The magazines photoshop stars, the movies promote unrealistic personalities and sexualization, and the "politician" Trump creates a rating scale for women.


Here's how to find things you love about yourself:
1. Pick something physical about yourself. I imagine this is the hardest part for many women, but pick something. If you're feeling stuck, ask your partner what attribute first attracted them to you. If you don't have a partner, pick something you know you get complimented on (e.g. your smile or your hair). If you're still not comfortable admiring your own natural beauty, pick something you work really hard on (e.g. your eyebrows or your fingernails or your posture or your muscles). 
2. Choose one thing you're proud of in your past. Is there a project you showed perseverance through? Do you have a history of seeking friendship with people who feel unlovable? Did you throw an awesome party and show off your skills at cooking/hosting/cleaning? Zero in on what helped you in those accomplishments (never gives up, defender of the downtrodden, ultimate home-maker). Or even more simply, let the accomplishments be what you like (project completer, friend maker, party thrower). 
3. Focus in on a task you enjoy doing, and pinpoint what characteristic comes out when you are your best self. If you love piano, maybe it's your creativity, or attention to detail, or emotional connection that makes you your best self. If you love giving gifts, maybe it's your generous spirit or your ability to infer people's wants and needs. If you love listening to friends and/or giving advice, maybe it's your patience, humility, wisdom, or humor. What trait emerges most when you're being your best self?

Without further ado,
Three Things I Love About Myself
1. I like my stature. Like, the general build of my body. I like my height and my shoe size and my torso:leg ratio. I've only ever fell into self-consciousness over little details of my body, not the whole general thing. 
2. I like my education. It seems to be the only difficult thing I've ever earned in life. Sure I've earned money too but it all goes towards dumb stuff like groceries and rent and concert tickets. I haphazardly picked my schools but I think Agnes Scott and Belmont helped make me into a more compassionate person. I actually use my degrees every day, which makes it feel worthwhile. 
3. I like my creative side. I always have some side project brewing in my mind, keeping me entertained. Most of my wild ideas never come to fruition (e.g. Paige and I planned an hour-long Taylor Swift impersonation comedy act / sing along that we never performed...) but I think I'm my best self when I'm letting my imagination find new projects (like this blog). At any given moment I have three or four creative projects whirring in my mind. Right now it's: hand-making a calendar/planner, quilling, and printing tee shirts that say HufflePunk.


What are your three things? Leave a comment!

9 comments

  1. I love you and i love this! I think I'm going to join in and make my own "3 things I love about myself" list for my post today TOO. It's a Self-Love party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna read it and then I'm gonna come up with 3 MORE things that are awesome about you. Take THAT.

      Delete
    2. 1. That's funny.. I always admired your stance, too. I'm glad you know that you've got a cool one. You also have really great hair... so thick, yet it flops around so easily. It looks so cool when you throw it up in a messy bun.
      2. You're super easy to talk to, and to just be around in general. I feel like you can make friends with anybody!
      3. You really know how to encourage people without making things awkward. Sometimes it's a joke based on a flattering assumption about the person, sometimes it's just straight-up telling them you believe in them, but it always feels effortless. At least to me! (also, your sense of humor >>>>>>>>>)

      Delete
  2. If and when you make that "HufflePunk" shirt...I want one!! I also think I will join the self-love party and share this on my blog. :D

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I like this!
    1. I love my eyes. I love the color blue they are, and I love my long lashes. I actually feel that I've become a fairly confident person this year. There's still things I want to work on, but I've really rested in whose I am. I know that my identity and worth is found in Jesus.
    2. I'm still young (16) so this could easily change. I did complete my first college courses online this past fall, and I got straight A's. I like that even when it got hard, I didn't give up and I worked hard.
    3. I love piano and singing. I also love theatre and reading. In all those things I'm able to put emotions into what I'm doing. I cry with every movie I watch, and I cry for most books I read too. I'm really able to put my self in other people's "shoes" and empathize with them. I like that. :)
    XO,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you #1 answer!
      The identity Christ has instilled in you is totally the most beautiful part of you :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete