Because I'm Worth It

I totally belonged in the EGOT club after no hard work.

I used to think I deserved good things to happen to me. I'm very lucky, very privileged, and my whole life I've gotten everything I really need and all the reasonable things I want.

In most teenage rom-com movies, the main character is upper middle class, has a wonderful family, a few great friends, but is in some way a social outcast. But they're a really smart, kind person, and by the end of the movie they have everything they want because they deserve it.

This morning I was listening to a song, "Another Lesson Learned" by The Wild After:

They say that nothing good comes easy, if it even comes at all.  -The Wild After, Another Lesson Learned
I don't deserve any of the good things in my life "because I'm nice," or "because I earned it." Karma isn't a real thing. I was nice, I did my homework, I usually respected my parents, but... I didn't magically get an amazing boyfriend or a full ride to college.

My wonderful husband, my cute spacious home, my fun full-time job, my college degree are not things I deserve. They are not things I could ever really possibly earn. I can work and work and never really be worthy of these blessings. Because I am actually a broken, selfish person who doesn't deserve much at all. But these wonderful things in my life are gifts, and I should appreciate them every day as such.

No comments