My Favorite Story to Tell

I've decided on Sundays I'll tell a short story. For my first week blogging I think I'll tell the only story that people ask me to tell: how Brian proposed.

In 2014, Brian and I had been discussing that we wanted to get married, and we realized the timing seemed right to get married in 2015. We didn't have full-time jobs yet but we were confident we would both have them very soon. Late in the summer, Brian took me to a jewelry store to check my ring size, so I knew it was coming any day. I was a pretty annoying girlfriend and liked to give him a hard time that he wasn't acting fast enough. I was teasing him so relentlessly that he accidentally slipped up that he can "return the ring if he wants to." That's when I knew it would be so so so soon.

My three best friends from summer camp, Kelli, Lauren, and Anna, all live in different towns and they all conveniently happened to be coming over near my hometown for various (fake) reasons. We decided to meet up at a Cajun restaurant in Roswell for lunch on November 22. I had no idea Brian had set them up to this.

It was our first time reunited since Kelli had gotten married, and we loved catching up. After lunch they we're all like..."So... I have more time... y'all wanna still hang out? What do you want to do?" So sly. Such tricksters. Anna suggested we go get our nails done (which we have never done together before) and I instantly knew something was up. We went to my mom's favorite nail salon (she had recommended it to Brian, of course) and Anna paid for me, which was again weird.

Then they were texting and scheming and decided we needed to go (stalling for time) get coffee. We went to Land of a Thousand Hills, a cool coffee shop in the historic district. We sipped our drinks. Even though it was November it was really warm outside so we were pretty much sweating with our coffees. When we were halfway done with our drinks, they abruptly suggested we go to a nearby park to walk around and take pictures.

We pulled up to Old Mill Park (where Brian and I had gone on two or three dates our first year together), walked through the parking lot, and then (surprise!) Brian was waiting there to greet us. He took me away from my pals on a short little walk on the hill and led me next to the historic bridge. That's where he gave me a sweet little speech, got down on one knee, pulled out a ring, and asked me to marry him! I said yes. My friends took pictures from afar.




We walked back to our cars and I was very obviously flustered and excited. Brian must've felt bad for me because he decided to warn me about the next surprise. He said, "Are you ready for the party? Both our families are back at the house." It was so great! I got back to my parents' house and everybody was ready to celebrate.


Brian knows me so well he planned exactly what I'd think is a perfect day: a fun afternoon with my favorite girls, an evening walk in the park with my boo, and dinner with the whole family.

No comments