Dream Job

I used to think my "dream job" would be one that I love 99% of the time.

In October 2014 I quit my awful job, because it was sucking the life out of me. I got a nice paycheck, but that was the only nice thing about my situation. I knew when I quit I would look for a job that was in a very different environment, and would probably pay much less. I was unemployed four months before I started my current job.

During that unemployment, I got breakfast with my friend Jess a couple times. I asked her how her job was going, and she said, "Great! I really really enjoy it, about 75% of the time." And I was baffled.... 75% is great? And she was explained why 75% to 25% is truly an awesome ratio. Only 25% of the time you feel like you're actually doing labor that earns your paycheck. The other 75% of the time you're enjoying yourself. Anything higher than 10% enjoyment is a blessing. Anything higher than 50% enjoyment is actually luxurious. My gears started turning.

March 1st last year,  I started as an assistant director of children's ministry at a large church. Of course no job and no workplace is perfect, but right now this is my "dream job." I enjoy it 75% of the time, or maybe even more. I think I'm learning at a faster rate than I ever did in school. My paycheck is fair, my coworkers are kind, and my hours can usually be flexible when I need. Sometimes I have to spend hours doing crafts, organizing closets, writing lesson plans, planning retreats and activities. That's the 75%.

A photo posted by Kirby Darden (@kirby.darden) on


Of course I get majorly stressed out every Sunday morning around 5am, which I mentally categorize as the time I'm putting in to really earn my paycheck. And sometimes I don't get a weekend at all, and sometimes I have to manage sensitive situations, insanely detailed events, annoyed parents, and ornery kids. But as of right now, it's perfect for me. I don't have my own kids, so I can deal with the crazy ones for a few hours a week. I don't have money saved up for trips and adventures, so I can handle working a few weekends in a row.

It's not about how much fun I'm having or how glamorous the job feels. It's about finding a balance of enjoyment and challenge. It's about using all my skills in a meaningful way.

When I was a dummy, I was pining for a job that was 99% good.
Now that I'm slightly less dumb, I see I can really only aim for a job that's 50% good, and I'm lucky beyond belief to have anything higher.

Tell me about how you know your job is a good fit for you! (Or if you hate your job... tell me what would be different in your dream job.)

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I currently work as an administrative assistant and while I like my job and I really don't have any complaints as far as my work load, the people I work with, my boss, etc., I feel like the part that's missing from my job is the challenging part.

    I'm the kind of person who wants to be inspired and while I know it's not necessarily my job's job to inspire and satisfy my creativity all the time, I kind of wish there was more of a challenge and more of a learning curve, if that makes sense. This fall I am going back to school (part time) while I keep working. I'm not really sure what kind of "dream job" I would want in the future but I think starting to learn again will help my brain feel more challenged and possibly open up doors of opportunity for other, more people-oriented and creative jobs.

    Thanks for sharing this! It's so easy to have unrealistic expectations for our jobs and how we want them to fulfill us. Your hindsight perspective is really helpful and refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete