Three Foods I Rely On, and a "Recipe"

Brian and I are creatures of habit, especially when it comes to food. Normally when people write a food-related post, it goes something like, "For the past couple weeks I've really been digging (insert trendy healthy food like kale chips or lentil crisps or something made from cauliflower)."
Here I am writing my first food related post and it goes something like, "For the past ten years, I've really been digging (insert unhealthy snack food that I should be embarrassed of)."

1. Peanut butter. It's possibly my primary source of protein. I eat a banana with peanut butter for breakfast each day, and some afternoons I eat an apple with peanut butter. I was raised on creamy peanut butter, but since marriage I've switched to crunchy peanut butter per Brian's request. I'm coping pretty well. 
2. Goldfish crackers. We buy a large carton every week. In an attempt to justify our childlike snacking habits, we now eat the whole wheat version. It has one more gram of fiber per serving, which totally makes a huge difference... I wish. 
3. Guacamole (and tortilla chips). Guacamole is so healthy!... If it weren't for the delicious chips that go hand-in-hand.  Every week we buy four avocados: two already soft for immediate consumption, and two that are still hard. We used to buy tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and a lime,which is simple enough but added up and took actual effort to chop. Our new lazy method of making guacamole takes under two minutes and it's just as delicious. 

-Two avocados, chopped or mashed however you prefer. 
-Half a container of pico de gallo. We buy a 7oz container from the produce section of Kroger, and it's the perfect ratio. 
-Salt and pepper. Lime juice too if you wanna be fancy. 
-Enjoy with one million tortilla chips. 

2 comments

  1. Sometimes we sub carrots or the small Persian cucumbers for tortilla chips. Gets a veggie in and the guac makes it taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian like that idea... he even eats carrots and celery in just salsa. For me, 50% of the appeal of guacamole is the chips anyway.

      Delete