Roommate, Soulmate, Samesies

This Storytime Sunday post might as well be titled, Ode to Paige.


I met my college roommate Paige when we were seniors in high school. It was probably January-ish, and the stars aligned and were were grouped together with the same tour guide when we were visiting Agnes Scott. I actually still remember the experience pretty vividly, probably because we reminisce over it occasionally together. Wait, what? Why do you reminisce over a college tour? Because it was weird and weird things happened:

We were in a small group of five students and some parents too. I remember exactly who the five were:
  • Myself
  • Paige, a normal looking girl with a blonde bob cut
  • A very loud transfer student named Heather, who had purple hair at the time. 
  • Two girls wearing long fur coats who started every sentence with "I'm homeschooled, so...." 
Our tour guide happened to be some chick who was in a lot of the Agnes Scott propaganda (like the DVD they sent us of student interviews, the brochures, the website, whatever.) She studied something cool like astrophysics and she was from somewhere cool like Alaska. I think her name was Kate, but maybe not. 
Ignore the tug-of-war. This is just the prettiest picture I ever snapped of Agnes Scott so I wanted to put it here.
We went from the dining hall to a dorm to the science center to the athletic center... typical college tour stuff. The loud girl with purple hair scared me, because she was loud and because I was a very sheltered child and at my public high school you weren't allowed to have unnatural colors of hair. When we were almost done, one of the fur coat girls pulled a dog out of her purse. It was awesome and made no sense, and the tour guide was like, "Has that dog been here all along...?" That might've been what won me over to enroll at Agnes Scott. Who knows. 

Weeks later, we both came back to Agnes Scott to interview for some scholarships. We saw each other, (didn't have smart phones; 2009 was a dark time) and told each other our last names so that we could go home and become Facebook friends. We connected on Facebook and chatted with each other as we made our final decisions between colleges.

We recently scrolled back and found some awfully awkward chats. 

I'm laughing so hard at myself. I said, "China? How cool!" Little did I know, about a third of my classmates would be from China, and some of my good friends, and it's just a normal part of life to be friends with Chinese people. 

Anyway, long story short, we became roommates and it's the strangest tightest friendship I've ever been trapped in for four years. Just kidding, I've been trapped in it for seven years. Just kidding I'm not trapped.

We regularly had "awkward photoshoots" where we tried really hard to make the viewer feel awkward. It was art, okay?!

Also, for your viewing pleasure, one time we thought we were SO cool and went on a quick roadtrip to Knoxville to see Steve Moakler and Andrew Ripp play a show together. Also we kept repeating the terrible pun, "Knox Knox, who's there?" I do not know how I actually had time to put together this embarrassingly terrible video, but here you go. Paige and Kirby in their prime, September 2011:


1 comment

  1. I laughed! I cried! Just kidding I'm not trapped. Just kidding I am. Just -- just kidding.

    ReplyDelete