Good Decisions All Around

I recently read this cute little blog post by songwriter Matt Wertz on Storyline Blog. I'd recommend it, just a sweet little four minute read. This here Pep Talk Tuesday doesn't totally relate to the main point of that other post, but it is inspired by one of the side-points, so I thought I'd give credit where it's due.


You are a good decision maker. Incredible, actually. You have never once in your entire life made a bad decision.

You: Wait what? How can you say that? What about the time I decided to cheat on my 3rd grade spelling quiz? What about that time I entered a pizza eating competition and made myself sick for five days straight? What about that time I ran a red light and seriously injured another driver? What about when I decided to try cigarettes?

Me: Ok ok ok so there are lots of bad consequences that may have come from some of your decisions. But unless you ever decided to actually kill anyone, all your decisions were good. Here's the deal:

You make decisions based on what you predict the outcomes will be (good, bad, or neutral) and you hope for the best. But no matter what actually happens, it's all good. You learn, you grow, you excel, you overcome, you adapt, you achieve, you succeed. Ultimately, all your decisions have gotten you here and now, which is exactly right and perfect.

Whatever might immediately seem like a bad decision in quick retrospect will eventually clear up and there is goodness in it. There is. Somewhere. I promise.



1 comment