Three Things I Love About Summer

Summer is the best season, hands down. Today was the last day of public schools around here, so IT'S SUMMER! I am very passionate about this issue. People who claim fall, winter, or spring is better than summer are completely delusional. If Brian and I ever get a female dog, I'm going to campaign for the name Summer. Summer veggies are better. Summer clothes are cuter. Summer activities are more adventurous. The list goes on forever.


My top three reasons for loving summer:

1. It's hot. I love hot weather. I love the pool and the beach and taking hot walks around the neighborhood. A few years ago I vowed to never complain about the weather being too hot. That was back when I lived in a dorm room with no air conditioning and worked on summer staff at a summer camp with no air conditioning. That one simple mindset change has been magical, and I love summer even more because of it.

2. My job changes up. I do really like my job year-round, but during the school year it can get pretty monotonous. During the school year 80% of my energy is spent on the regular monotonous stuff and only 20% on special events like the Christmas Pageant or Easter Egg Hunt. During the summer, that ratio is reversed. I spend way less energy on Sunday School, and get to plan wild and crazy stuff for Vacation Bible School and Local Missions Camp.

3. My birthday. August is the absolute best month to have a birthday. As a kid, my birthday party was always the weekend before school started, so all my pals were back in town. And as a teen and college kid, I could use my birthday to get extra cool back-to-school clothes. As an adult, I guess it matters less on the timing, but it still feels special to me to have a summer birthday.

No comments