Three Things About My Bling

I have never ever ever ever ever ever been a person who likes jewelry. As a little girl I used to throw a tantrum when my mom would make me wear a necklace with my Sunday dress. So when Brian and I were dating seriously for a couple years and started talking about engagement and marriage, I was pretty nervous thinking about rings.

The other day Brian and I were randomly chatting in the car together about my rings, so I thought I'd write a nice little post about how much I appreciate them. I never posted a "ring shot" on Instagram during our engagement because it seems braggy and self-centered in some context, but I think this post really calls for it:

Three Things About My Bling

1. We went to a jeweler in Atlanta that plays radio commercials to get my finger sized and to figure out what styles I might like, and I was so uncomfortable the whole time I wanted to disappear. I had no idea what style I wanted, and the salesperson was putting so much pressure on me to make decisions and preferences. Eventually I found one ring I liked, and the salesman then showed me twenty more rings that looked identical to the untrained eye (i.e. me). It was overwhelmed to say the least. Walking out of there I was clinging to Brian for dear life, grateful that he was going to take care of the rest.

2. On the day Brian proposed to me, he had given me plenty of hints so I totally knew it was coming that day. I was at lunch with my friends and they were talking about their own engagement rings and what they liked about various styles of rings. They were mentioning they like thin dainty ring bands, and I was racking my brain trying to remember what the soon-to-be-mine engagement ring looked like. I literally couldn't remember and I started to worry my friends wouldn't like it. Then I remembered that's a stupid thing to worry about. Nobody really cares too much about what someone else's ring looks like.

3. I picked out my wedding band online form some British company called 77 Diamonds, and it didn't arrive until a couple weeks before the wedding. I purposefully picked it out because I wanted a mismatched look, contrasting my other ring. Very Pinterest-y, ya know. But I was so stressed out from wedding planning at that point, that when I finally saw it I cried because I thought it didn't "go" well with the other ring. Now I think they're the perfect match and look awesome together. But at the time, the first impression was negative and I said something rude/ungrateful to Brian that made him sad, and my mom had to come to the rescue and convince me they look great together.



I love my rings because they're a generous gift from Brian, they're a unique match, and they're just plain old pretty.



No comments