I Taught Sex-Ed

This weekend I taught a three day sex education course at church for 5th and 6th graders. It was mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting. I still can't decide if teaching that course is my favorite thing about my job or my least favorite thing about my job. Either way, I'm relieved that the course is over until next year. 

Our church uses a curriculum called Created By God, and I liked most of it. The lesson plans needed a little tweaking but I recommend it as a good purchase for other preteen ministries, despite the tacky outdated cover art. It can be very easily adapted to fit a specific church's beliefs, since it's very discussion-based. 


We taught the kids everything. Like... Everything. We went over diagrams of genitals, the steps of puberty, the process of childbirth, STD's, homosexuality, abuse, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. 

We had forty kids and ten adults participating. The kids brought sleeping bags and pillows and we learned together, sprawled out on the floor. There was one boy sitting in a bean bag chair, right in the middle of the crowd, and his face never changed from this expression the entire weekend: 😳

I thought the weekend would be complicated and I thought I'm the opposite of an expert on sexuality. Turns out the vast majority of the kids have NO understanding of the human body, and their questions were incredibly easy to answer. ("Do girls poop?" "Where do people do sex?" "What is an egg donation?" "People come from eggs?!?!?" "What age do I need deodorant?" "Is pubic hair the same color as regular hair?") Other questions were much tougher (gay sex, infertility treatments, abortion) but we made it through the weekend and I think every participant, children and adults alike, learned something. 

Some of my favorite moments I can't not laugh at:



A mom, on the second day: My son didn't want to come back today. He insists he already knows it all. I asked him how babies are born and he said through the mom's belly button. So, here we are, back for day 2.



Adults: If anyone EVER touches you inappropriately or asks you for inappropriate photos or makes you undress for them or pressures you to do anything sexual, immediately tell a parent or teacher. 
Student: (distraught) But like at dance competitions we HAVE to all change clothes in the same room. Is my dance teacher going to jail?!?!?



Student: Is cancer an STD?
Adults: no
Another student: So which types of cancer are STDs?
Adults: no
Yet another student: Is an STD the same thing as cancer? 



Student: Why do boys have nipples?



(After some student asked a LOT of very detailed questions about the science behind breastfeeding, and I didn't have any good answers.)
Student: So you're saying there's no proof that breastfeeding is better for a baby than formula?
Me: I don't know. There are wonderful brilliant adults in the world who were raised either way.
Student: Well let's just find out how Donald Trump was fed... And that'll prove which one is worse. 



(A recurring theme of the weekend was "Sex is a gift from God.")
Student: Now I know how to answer that get-to-know-you question, "What's the worst gift you've ever received?"
 

No comments