Three Reasons I Don't Wear Makeup

I don't care about makeup. There are reasons I think it's great (like if you view it as an art or skill you're improving at) and reasons I think it's terrible (like if you're embarrassed of your natural face) but these are the three main reasons I've never gotten into it.


1. It's expensive. It costs time and money. Sure, if you start with a strong arsenal of makeup, and only have to replace one or two things at a time, and slowly grow your collection... maybe it only costs you $10 to $20 a month. But thats up to twenty stinkin' dollars each month! I'd rather spend that on guacamole. And the initial cost of getting all the basics is big. And I know myself well enough that if I started liking makeup, I'd want to spend more than just the basic quality stuff.
2. My face doesn't bother me. There are basically three main reasons why people choose to wear makeup, and none of them apply to me. Some people wear makeup because they view it like an art/hobby/skill they like to improve at. Cool for you, but it's not my cup of tea. Some people wear makeup because they think they have to, since it's the norm. That's a stupid reason, and my workplace lets me get around it. Some people wear makeup because they want to cover up their face, altar it, shade it, or hide it. I don't want to go down that path of trying to make myself look "better."
3. I don't feel like myself. I dress casually for my job every day. Jeans, sneakers, and a semi-nice shirt. I've only ever worn makeup for job interviews, my own wedding, and a black-tie event a few weeks ago. I felt weirdly self conscious the whole time, like nobody was seeing my real face. I felt like a character playing myself.

No comments