You Don't Even Have to Try

I used to try kind-of hard to be unique. Actually it's a little embarrassing how hard I tried to be unique. I think I was accidentally a moderate hipster.

A photo posted by Kirby Darden (@kirby.darden) on
I wore ill-fitting clothes from thrift stores, pictured above. I only listened to little-known indie musicians. I took great pride in the fact that I went to a tiny college and chose the least popular major. I even shopped high and low to get "limited edition" Chacos that nobody else would have. I loved to brag about anything and everything unusual that every happened in my life. What a waste of energy. I am unique. I don't have to try.

Even now that I listen to Top 40, I am unique. Even now that I buy my clothes at regular stores instead of thrift stores, I am unique. Even now that I have a normal, full-time office job, I am unique. Even not that I religiously watch The Bachelor, I am unique.

When I was a dummy I thought I had to make sure I wasn't too normal or boring. But who was I kidding? My freaking name is "Kirby," that's already definitely not normal. Hy humor, smile, and laugh are unique. My opinions, experiences, and skills are unique. My interests, values, and priorities are unique. I don't even have to try.

No comments