No Explainations

When I was a dummy, I used to think I had to explain my life choices. And defend them. And convince other people I'm right.

In college, very few of my peers were Christians and some people didn't realize that my faith doesn't make me an intolerant close-minded bigot.
In grad school I had hundreds of people ask me why I'd chosen to work with kids and why I wanted to work with inner-city families.
Even a couple weeks ago, Brian and I were reading a book about marriage (when we bought the book we didn't know how extremely conservative the author is...) and the book questioned the ethical use of birth control.

Other people's opinions don't matter, and people who form judgmental opinions wouldn't ever listen to my explanations anyway. All I have to do is make my life choices, live them out, and let that be it's own explanation.

The joy I find in my faith, the happiness I see when I work with families, and the security I have by taking advantage of birth control are MY decisions and don't need defending.

No comments