Sweet Little Sweetheart

Today at church there was a little kindergartener Nate attending. Normally he's really unruly and hates following directions and runs around the room. But he's so freaking cute that I just can't be stern with him. He's shorter than his peers, he has a precious little birthmark on his face, and he has a tiny baby-man raspy voice.

Today at church, I have no idea why, but he was SO clingy and cuddly and sweet. During playtime, we played Chutes and Ladders, and he actually followed the directions and took the chutes when he landed on them. That was my first hint that something very strange but awesome was going on with him today.

When playtime was over, we then have worship time. We play a song video on the screen and all the kids sing along and dance around. He started wandering around the room, and I caught him and said, "Hey Nate, wanna go dance with the kindergarteners with me?" On a normal Sunday he would probably ignore me and go over to the Lego table. But today, he took my hand and walked over to the Kindergarten section, and he let me move his arms around like a dancing puppet.

Then after worship time, we have our Bible lesson. Today the kids were learning about Good Friday and Easter (even though today was actually Palm Sunday, they learned about that last week) and we showed this video during our Bible lesson:
God's Story: Easter from Crossroads Kids' Club on Vimeo.

It's actually sorta scary for the little kids, kinda intense at some parts, and so all the Kindergarteners were snuggling up against me with their eyes glued to the screen. It was the best ever actually. After the video was over, Nate looked at me and said, "I HATED the part when Jesus died." And I responded how I have to: "We don't use the word 'hate.' You can find other words to describe your feelings." But sweet little Nate said, "No, that's the right word." And I really can't argue with him. I hate it too.

1 comment