The Best Four Years

When I Was A Dummy, I believed what adults said all the time: "College will be the best four years of your life."

Class rings are a really big deal, presented to sophomores at Agnes Scott.

Yeah I freaking loved college. I loved the traditions, camaraderie, challenges, triumphs, freedom, and safety. But also... life has gotten much better since then. I've had one year in grad school and two years in "the real world" and I've gotta say, life just gets better. It just really does. Even when I have ups and downs. Even when I have major stressors. Even when I have more responsibility and more bills due. I'm no longer running on a treadmill of coursework and jumping through hoops just for the sake of jumping through hoops.

The challenges I face at work are way more rewarding to overcome because the results matter a lot more than just a grade. When I do a good job, I see happy kids and parents, not just the possibility of getting recognized by my professors.

How sad would it be if college really were the best years of your life? It's all downhill from there? How awful, really! I'm here to debunk that myth. The best four years of your life are always ahead of you. Look forward to it.



No comments