Watch Me WIP

Happy Birthday Kyla! (My sister Kyla is awesome and she is one of like four people who consistently read this blog.) Now for the actual scheduled themed blog post:


Hello, I am a WIP. 
I hope that WIP does't secretly stand for something dirty. When I say it, I mean I'm a Work In Progress. Today's Pep Talk Tuesday is about cutting yourself some slack, and concentrating on your progress more than your product.  


Lately I've been annoyed at myself that I'm not perfect at everything I attempt. Can you relate? It's so dumb! The thing is, you're not ever going to get to be perfect, or even very close. And everyone's definition of perfect is different anyway, so that makes it even more impossible to achieve. 

I try hand lettering, and it always turns out bumpy or imbalanced. I try talking on the phone and emailing strangers for work, and I always end the conversation relieved for the awkwardness to finally stop. I try to clean the kitchen, only for Brian to find crumbs and spills I forgot. I have to cut off another driver to get out of a busy intersection. I overcooked the asparagus. 

These aren't really failures, they're just part of my progress. I really am getting better at lettering, conversing with strangers, cleaning, driving, and cooking. 

Whatever you see as your weakness is really just the area of your life in which you can and will most rapidly improves, if you let yourself. It only feels like a failure when you compare yourself to someone else who is doing better. But they're struggling, learning, improving, and growing too. They're just good at hiding the screwed up parts. 

Like I used my awesome beautiful hand lettering as the title image. But here's some behind the scenes for you: 


Yes. I write like a young child learning cursive. And then repeat the same short phrase fifteen times. And then I have something sort-of presentable.

Same goes for everything else. I've made a few disgusting meals but thankfully I only serve my friends stuff I know tastes good. I'm improving. You're improving.  The process is growth not failure.  

No comments