Anti-Jeans

In college I noticed many of my peers talking about how much they disliked wearing pants, especially jeans. I heard about a thousand times, "As soon as I get back to my dorm I change into PJ pants," or "People give me compliments on my skirts and dresses, but I'm really just avoiding pants."

At the time I totally did not get this. I wore jeans every day, and I kid you not, I took naps in jeans too. During finals week when I failed to take care of my body I would fall asleep in my clothes, including jeans. I thought jeans were really comfy and didn't understand why people complain about them. In my eyes, denim was soft, stretchy, warm, and therefore perfect.


Now I get it. I wear jeans every single day to work, since it's a casual environment and the office is way too cold for shorts or skirts. And every single day when I get home I immediately change out of my jeans and I feel like my legs can finally breathe again. Maybe this is because I finally invested in some better quality jeans that actually fit me and are made of thicker material than just Old Navy's. Maybe this is because I'm getting old and my body needs breathing room when it didn't before. Maybe I'm just better at noticing things to complain about.

All I know is that at the end of the day when I finally peel my skinny jeans over my sweaty feet (sometimes taking three of four frustrating minutes of wresting denim over my clammy hooves) I can hear the angels singing.

No comments