Friend, Not Entertainer

I used to think it was my responsibility to make sure the people I care about weren't bored, mad, sad, annoyed, or anything like that. Like I had to be some sort of doctor/magician/therapist/entertainer and make sure all was well in their world when they were around me.I can't make everybody happy. I'm no fun park.



For most problems, there is no quick fix, and even if there were, that would be an unfair expectation to place on a friend.

For little problems like boredom, that's not my responsibility either. If someone is bored and not having fun around me, then frankly it's half their fault too and they're just as boring.

I recently was getting anxious whenever Brian was sitting around relaxing. I'd ask him repeatedly, "do ya wanna play a board game?" "Do you wanna go for a walk?" "Do ya want a snack? A movie? A  puzzle?" And he would always try to calm me down that he's totally fine doing nothing. And now I'm fine with that. 

No comments