Watercolor Wonder Women

I follow a lot of impressive water colorers and calligraphers and modern letter era on Instagram. They're amazing. Dazzling. Mesmerizing. And they make it look easy.




A photo posted by Joly (@jolypoa) on


So I got some brush pens and I got a water brush and liquid colors and fancy paper. And it was not easy. My first 1000 attempts immediately went in the garbage. My lettering was embarrassingly childlike. My water colors look like mushy wrinkly gray-brown globs. Stuff that looks easy is not easy, it's practiced.


So I'm kinda learning how to water color, using tutorials I find on Pinterest. And I'm kinda learning modern brush lettering, just by copying stuff I see on Instagram. I'm getting better, but BOY was I a dummy when I thought it'd be easy. 

2 comments