Be Salty

When I was a student teacher in 2013 I accidentally developed too much of a friendship with some of my students. They felt like they could joke with me since they knew I'd never get mad about it. They purposefully never pronounced my name correctly and they would always make fun of me because I admitted to using Twitter, which apparently makes me ancient. Usually I loved it except when I was trying to get them to buckle down and learn something. Then, about half the kids thought I was just kidding that they really needed to listen and do work. Oh well. All those kids did fine on their standardized testing, so I know I didn't completely fail them as a math teacher.

Anyway... one day in the hallway a substitute teacher walked by and gave me a major evil glare and I had no idea why. Still don't know why. But the kids were like, "Ms. Rawjaz did you see her stankin' you? Want me to beat her up?" And I politely declined.

Another time I randomly commented, "It sorta smells like pizza in here," because it sorta smelled like pizza in there. And a kid was like, "You smell your hearts' deepest desire, sweetheart." And I should have given him detention but I laughed to hard.

And another time they were making fun of me for being old and not knowing slang, and they were like, "Hey Rawjaz, you salty?" And I was like "What does salty mean?" And they were like, "I'm not telling. But... are you salty?" And we went back and forth with them trying to get me to say yes or no, but I wouldn't say yes or no. Eventually a sweet girl explained it to me. Basically its just angry/upset/bitter, sometimes referring to an embarrassing situation. So I responded in some very teachery response, probably like, "No I'm not salty, but don't make me salty- do your work." Yes I'm very lame.


Matthew 5:13
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

Stay salty. Jesus was talking about us preserving the world. Any maybe some of that can happen through our outrage. We should be outraged and salty and up-in-arms over the tragedies and injustices around us. We should teach kids about it and teach them how to help. We should stay bitter. Stay salty. Stay angry. Outraged and energized, we can do more, serve more, help more, teach more, be more. 

No comments